Week 2 ~

Monday, July 19, 2010
I have one week of success under my belt towards a healthy life style and better me! I feel a need to have a safe place to ramble about my daily nuances of this journey. My hope is I will not go it alone, but others will find me and join in.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

If Mother Nature was on Facebook, I'd Block Her.

Just when things were looking so good, *BAM*!, my efforts fell into the abyss of PMS. Granted, it's a temporary state of existance, but all I can say is "Damn!". I wanted salt, I wanted chocolate, I wanted pizza. I even bargained with myself one night and decided to succumb to the pizza demons in the interest of getting it out of my system. We no longer order meatlovers, nor do we order a large. We go for a medium Italian Sausage, mushroom and jalapeno one and depend on a teenager to polish off the remains. We ordered online from the place 2 miles down the road; they'll deliver to the corner gas station, but not to our house, so hubby went to PH to pick up. He was gone so long I started to fear he had been in an accident. Much, much later, he returned....with a bag from Wendy's. When he arrived at PH 10 minutes past the scheduled pick up time, they had a long line at the pick up window. One by one they left, and finally it was my husband's turn. PH said it would be another 10 minutes. They say 20 minutes when you order...he arrived 10 minutes later, so there's 30, and now they're saying 10 more...40 minutes in the making. He told them to give him his money back, so he went to Wendy's and came home with a single and a small fry for me. I didn't even bother to look it up for the calories. I had almost 700 to spare at that point, and decided for as bad as it was, it was still better than the double burger, large fry and Frosty I used to enjoy. I was hungry and it was food. Chocolate was the odd thing though. I can normally pass it up, but this was a craving so fierce I was scrounging through my baking cabinet for a remedy. That terrible storm lasted 2 days and I'm finally beginning to regain the control I was so proud of. Perhaps the scales helped snap me back into reality. They were not my friend today, showing a whopping 4 pound gain in one week. I know it will be gone by next Saturday, but the moment, today, it sucks...for lack of a better summary.

Today I've just wandered around the house, no gusto for much of anything. I showered early and dressed as though I might go somewhere, but didn't. I'm in desperate need of a haircut and contemplating going some place I've never gone even though I've gone to the same person for 15 years. Just wondering if I'm missing something new and exciting. Even when I ask for something different, I come home and my hair is the same.

Tomorrow I told my husband I really want to go somewhere, if for no other reason than to not be a slave to laundry and dog hair 2 days in a row. I've requested we go to The Fresh Market, 40 miles away. I can easily kill an hour or 2 in there. I suggested we get something nice for the grill, and I also want to try steel cut oats. He's poo-poo'd the popularity of steel cut oats and insists they are nutritionally the same as our Quaker Old Fashioned variety. Regardless, they're a nutritionally sound food, and if the only difference is in texture, than so be it. I prefer cooked oats over instant. Perhaps steel cut is a cut above old fashioned, and if so, why shouldn't I enjoy them? I cannot believe I'm writing about oatmeal, muchless driving 40 miles for it, but I'm on a journey...a mission. I love food, and that relationship will never change. I will, however, make better choices in both quality and quantity.

Food Lion now sells individually wrapped frozen 100 calorie portions of salmon. That makes me happy. We had them baked with sea salt and lemon, then topped with wasabi sauce when done...brown rice, a veggie egg roll, and steamed green beans. I also tried another recipe from my Splenda cookbook...applesauce snack cake. It got the seal of approval from my teenager, so it will be part of my arsenal in this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment