Week 2 ~

Monday, July 19, 2010
I have one week of success under my belt towards a healthy life style and better me! I feel a need to have a safe place to ramble about my daily nuances of this journey. My hope is I will not go it alone, but others will find me and join in.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Be Prepared and A New Bike in my Future

I'm testing the waters to see exactly HOW supportive my husband can be of what I'm doing. Last night, after the whole bike incident crawled under my skin, I threw out, "I really don't know what I should do about tomorrow." to which he immediately responded, "Pack your lunch." One: I was surprised he remembered I had an all day training session to attend. Two: I was expecting a little more debate, you know? Like cats and mice...they don't immediately go in for the kill, they play with them a while. He went for the kill, and well... he was right on! I packed a pita (of course), a light string cheese, an ounce of turkey pastrami, a cup of fresh fruit, a light yogurt, and a bag of FullBites/BBQ flavored. I wasn't crazy about 2 starches for one meal even though they balanced each other out calorie-wise with one being wee and one not-so, so I just didn't eat one at breakfast. In fact, breakfast ended up being a string cheese and coffee. I was 99.9% sure there would be some fresh fruit alongside the buffet of danishes and popovers, etc, or at the very least some OJ. Turns out, I was right, so I followed up there with a nice portion of fruit and nothing else, BUT, I DID take my half gallon milk jug of water with me too! Well, good thing I packed because those would have been some choppy waters to navigate. Normally lunch there is a meat tray and assorted sandwich makings, chips, all that, and then a table FULL of desserts. Today was not sandwich day, to I couldn't even snag some mustard, tomato, onion, lettuce...nothing. Fresh fruit would have been my only vice. They had pulled pork BBQ, baked chicken breasts covered in BBQ sauce, cole slaw, macaroni salad, red velvet cake and lemon meringue pie. Lead me not into temptation....so my husband's support delivered me from evil. I did feel really good about my lunch! But here's the kicker...nobody...not a single soul from my table of 8 colleagues spoke one word to me at lunch, and we had a whole hour to kill! Granted, they're from other schools in our tiny district, but it's not like we didn't know one another; I mean, we know each others' first names and what grade we teach. At the very least, ask me how a kid you had 3 years ago did in Math this past year! I did hear mention of how good the red velvet cake was and how this place ALWAYS makes the absolute best macaroni salad (b****!)...maybe I was momentarily invisible? I teach Special Ed, and today I was Ed! Honestly, it gave me a new perspective about what measures I might have to take in order to insure all children feel welcome in my classroom rather than just assuming.

So the other thing was the bike. My husband examined the bike as I wheeled it out of the garage; I had mentioned how I was feeling *drag*, even just pushing it. He said the brakes would need adjustment because they DO rub the tires when not in use, but only intermittently. My mind is going a mile a minute because I'm sure what all this is going to boil down to is my weight was more than the bike was made for and undoubtedly was the cause for the multitude of reasons that would follow that my bo-hunkis should not ever, ever, ever come in contact with anything of its kind ever again. Rather than point fingers and tip scales, my husband very quickly moved to the reason for us being out there in the first place (good move), so he had me get on and explain my concerns to him. Immediately he could tell the bike was too tall for me. He then demonstrated how it should fit; how was I to know? I was the 3rd kid in line for hand-me-downs and numero uno never saw the stuff new, so we got what we got as kids from other families of kids after they had used and abused them for years; there was no right or wrong way for things to be. You just eagerly waited with anticipation for years to acquire this thing or that, that had some semblance to the things your friends had! So anyway, he further concluded that the wheels are too close; I need a longer bike as well as shorter, so guess what we're doing tonight?!

Tonight's supper is going to be a tweeked version of one of my husband's favorite comfort foods (I haven't gotten the bike yet, right?) Sauerkraut on the bottom (of a casserole!!), a turkey "cheddar" smoked sausage link ( the short individual sized ones) sliced over that, topped with smashed potatoes (using Benecol, skim milk, s/p), topped with a smidgen of cheese, keeping in mind the snausages are cheesy and I already know the numbers on those...not bad, but definitely something to navigate carefully. So...yeah...individual portions in individual casseroles. And, by the way, I polished off my 64 oz at 2:25! That's all for today! Shalom~

No comments:

Post a Comment