Week 2 ~

Monday, July 19, 2010
I have one week of success under my belt towards a healthy life style and better me! I feel a need to have a safe place to ramble about my daily nuances of this journey. My hope is I will not go it alone, but others will find me and join in.

Monday, July 19, 2010

My Afternoon

I had some errands to run, and while out I got hungry. It was after 2, and not only had I not had lunch, I hadn't eaten breakfast. I don't normally skip breakfast, so this is not something I see happening again. I just wasn't hungry, and as lunch "time" neared, I didn't know what I wanted, so until I had a clear picture in my head of what I WANTED and/or felt hunger, I wasn't going to eat. I blame this in part to the amount of chips I ate last night past what I'd normally consider my bedtime. So anyway, I'm in the grocery store...and feeling hunger. That's usually a bad thing and it usually costs a lot. Today was different. When I pulled in the parking lot I decided what it was I wanted, mainly because I knew it to be available in this store only. I wanted a tray of sushi. As I walked across the parking lot I realized the last time I had been there was 2 weeks ago when my husband was out of the country. I bought a loaf sized cake that day and ate the whole thing myself over the course of the 4 days he was gone. Why? Because I could. Was it delicious? Not really. I bake better. But it was then, and it was in that moment, but now I'm HERE, and here is good. It was a momentary flashback. I went to the sushi counter and after surveying my options I was pleased as I could be to walk away with a tray of Brown Rice Veggie Combo Roll...brown rice, carrots, cucumber, and avocado. How cool is THAT?! I added leftover fruit salad to it when I got home and decided to photograph the moment to amuse myself.

Then I decided today was the day to face The Bike. The bike I bought new probably 8 years ago and rode maybe a handful of times before I started courting again. About a month ago, my husband pumped the tires up for me, but I didn't have the courage to get on it. Today I had courage. I rearranged the seats in the van to make room for the bike. My plan was to drive into town where there's a vacant shopping center; plenty of level paved ground and no people. What? You didn't think I'd dare have my neighbors, people I KNOW see me on this thing, did you?! I'm not there yet, but I will be. So when I got on it, I swear I saw the rubber of the tires bulge. Not quite discouraged at this point, I decided to peddle it OUT of the garage and see how that would go. The knee I have babied for months, the same knee I've had no pain in the past week, found itself in a position that causes it strain when the peddle raised that knee to the highest point. I gave me vague recollection of the same issue years ago. I know nothing about buying bikes other than knowing I had never owned a shiny new one in my life and that I could afford this one at the time I purchased it. I really think this bike and my current weight are not good bedfellows. That's when I got discouraged. I parked the bike and e-mailed my husband with tears resting on the ledges of my eyes. It was a confessional of sorts, to have to admit my fears. I asked him to look at me on the bike tonight and see if I had made a mistake in buying it, or if my relationship with it was on hold awaiting more success. He was good as gold about it and agreed to look, applauding my long awaited desire to get moving, and affirming my choice in biking. He believes a bike that fits me right will help strengthen my knees without stressing them out. I was already dressed and ready to DO something, so I grabbed my keys and drove 6 minutes to the Y. I hadn't been there since maybe last August or September. I am proud to say I did the treadmill for 35 minutes at a "high" of 2.7, burned 251 calories, and covered 1.5 miles. I got my heart rate up to 150 and didn't feel death knocking. It honestly was easier today than I remember it being, perhaps in part due to my snazzy white Shape-Ups. I even sweated! When I went to get back in the van, I had sweat dripping off the ends of my hair, and could see shining trails down both sides of my neck. All the plates stayed on their sticks today and remain spinning! Tomorrow I have a 6 hour training to attend and lunch is provided. Too risky too soon. I'll pack and report back tomorrow. Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment