Week 2 ~

Monday, July 19, 2010
I have one week of success under my belt towards a healthy life style and better me! I feel a need to have a safe place to ramble about my daily nuances of this journey. My hope is I will not go it alone, but others will find me and join in.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bad, but better than usual

Supper was exceptionally good last night for many reasons. I even had ice cream for dessert. And let me explain how obsessive I am over doing well...This ice cream has been here since before vacation and I had not had any. It was something husband picked out on a whim, and likely the first time I ever recall him wanting ice cream. He bought Bunny Tracks and it's the reduced fat, no sugar added variety. A 1/2 cup (72g) serving was 150 calories. I didn't have 150 calories left. I had 144 after supper. I literally calculated calories per gram and figured out how many grams I could have and weighed it out. I've never enjoyed a little ice cream so much, ice crystals and all. But then get this. 9:00 came and I was starving. It was enough of a hunger that I knew sleep would not come easily, and I really felt panic and frustration. It was like impending doom. I had no calories left. So what was I to do? I did what I've always done; I ate. But I ate carefully. Did I go over my calories for the day? Yes. How many? I don't know, but 500 wouldn't surprise me. I had 2 slices of deli turkey breast, some dried fruit, 2 thin slices of deli American cheese, 2 sugar free jello snacks, and 1/4 cup of smoked almonds. I didn't necessarily measure, but I had a half cup Gladware handy and poured them in it half full. So, yep, I fell from grace, but I'm ok with it. None of what I picked with the exception of the cheese were, for lack of a better term, "bad". When I was done, I found myself surveying the kitchen to see if there was anything else I might want in this moment of weakness because if I was going to indulge, it was going to be NOW. I didn't go back for more ice cream. It felt really good to have made the choices I made, feed the hunger, and stop when I wasn't hungry anymore. I awoke this morning feeling refreshed and well rested. It's the first night in about 27 days, I've lost count, that I have not been up during the night 1-3 times to potty. I had all my water, but was done with it before supper. And if you recall, my previous night was restless, and my entire day was squirrely and scattered. I feel like today everything is corraled back in to place and the planets are once again aligned. Breakfast was a Pam fried whole egg, 2 slices reduced fat bacon, 1 pack instant grits, and a 3oz banana for 288 calories. I'm happy with that. Yesterday's breakfast cookie (310) at breakfast and turkey burger with cheese(243)at lunch sucked up too many calories too early in the day. Today is already better than yesterday, and isn't that the whole idea?

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you made a wise and well-reasoned choice. Awesomesauce!

    ReplyDelete